Pretext - Mike G. is the primary founder of RUSEEN Reflective Apparel, even at 64 he is still the biggest runner in the office. A true runner and outdoorsman his experience and expertise have helped make RUSEEN what it is today. It is not often we get him to write much, let alone share anything online but with that being said, here are some words of wisdom from “The Man” himself.
Running Strong - Running Experience
64 and still strong is how I like to describe myself. I started running back in elementary school, I ran track in Jr High and track & cross country in High school. I joined the services shortly after High school and ran for USMC (United States Marine Corps) in the mid 70’s, then ran during college and haven’t stopped since. I have completed countless 5k’s 10k’s, 5 milers, 10 milers, 13.1, and 26.2. After many years of road racing, plantar fascia, sciatic issues, and bothering hamstrings, I needed a change and sometime in the mid 80’s I got off the roads, off the cement, and put the macadam behind me.
Soon after, I started trail running and haven’t looked back since. Off the roads and into the trails I completed numerous 50k’s, a host of 50 milers and some even longer distances over the years. Like most hardcore runners I competed in many multi mud runs, bike races, duathlons (run / bike / run), triathlons (run / bike / canoe), century road rides and alike; ohh and I can’t forget about the HHH or Hash House Harriers. It may seem like a lot and you may be wondering how I have pushed through it all, just remember it’s all about “pain leaving the body”.
I have always found early morning trail runs to be my favorite. The runners are gathered around talking & BSing waiting for all to arrive, while others are getting ready, filling water bottles and packing paper. Then John Wayne arrives and it’s all about “Burning daylight”, it’s like playing hockey “Let’s get the puck out of here”.
Experience to Business
Through all of this experience I have learned the ins and outs of running safety and wanted to mix my love for the sport with my business savvy skills. This is where RUSEEN Reflective Apparel started, my love for running and wanting to keep those who do run safe. I believe in our products and know they are the best out there. Take my word for it or don’t, this is how it is. Let me share a few facts with you:
RUSEEN Reflective Apparel offers the very brightest type & style of reflective running clothing made today. Designed for your safety & visibility.
- The RUSEEN reflectivity is rated at 300/550 lumens utilizing an average of 13 ½ square inches of total reflectivity placed (front & back on most if not all garments).
- RUSEEN reflectivity CANNOT be washed-out.
- RUSEEN does not use or offer basic vertical or horizontal stripes on our garments because we do NOT want our runners to look like construction workers. Our garments are user friendly, fashionable, dry-fit/wicking, color-fast & highly reflective.
- Our competition uses reflective ink which is rated at 35/48 lumens and washes out after several launderings… and they call it reflective! For example to understand lumens brightness, the white line on any road or highway is approximately 35 lumens, not very bright... Hell, RUSEEN has more reflectivity on one-individual glove than most competition have on their entire garment.
- Most if not all major brand running clothes use very little reflectivity, approximately 1 inch or 2 inches of reflectivity is the average, and is usually not placed properly for vehicles/cars to see.
- RUSEEN places it’s reflective mostly on the right side of garments where drivers can see it best from the front or back giving you the best coverage possible.
- Please keep in mind that there is a major difference between reflectivity & hi-visibility. Whereas hi-visibility is a color and colors cannot be seen at night. The RUSEEN reflectivity reflects light off the runner wearing the RUSEEN garments back to the driver of the car, keeping the runner safer. Now we all know there are a many drivers out there NOT paying attention (to say the least) so please always use caution & common sense while running. That’s a topic for another week “common sense” Lol
- So remember think RUSEEN Reflective Apparel for all your hi-visibility & reflective needs!
Years of running have taught me a lot, one of the most important points being put safety first. I have heard enough stories and experienced enough scares to know that using reflective athletic clothing to be seen while you are out can be the difference between a great run and a terrible incident. We want our runners safe, so a word to the wise use RUSEEN Reflective Apparel while you are out and help make every run a great one!